4.11.2013

Bormann [Blogger] Life

First post. A little strange, but here goes nothing! My husband came up with the idea to start this Mr. & Mrs. blog as we come up on our One Year Anniversary of being "The Bormanns" along with our awesome golden retriever, Avery, who I can already foresee will be written about quite a bit I'm sure.



We have started this blog for a couple of reasons. Matt, or the Mr. as he will be referred, has a wonderful job that he loves, but he has recently decided that along with that job, he would like to tackle graduate school. So, being a smart guy, he reads a lot, which in a round-about way brings me to reason #1 that this blog has been created. He is reading the book, A Guide to Christian Ambition by Hugh Hewitt, and the author wrote, "The advantage of blogging is that it will oblige you to live in the world of ideas and debates, and to do so at the modern pace. At present, no great blogger has emerged with a distinctly evangelical world view. When one does, with humor and insight attached as well, that person (or persons) will have an enormous impact on the world." So... more on that quote later when he is posting, because you see, there will be two authors of this blog- hence the "Mr. and Mrs." and the plural form of "Life with the Bormanns".

If you haven't been able to tell by now, I am a teacher. I teach 7th grade science, and I love my job. This brings us to reason #2 that this blog was started. I have stories, oh do I have stories and lots of thoughts, and really let's be real- our era is web-based. So much of what I teach and what my students learn is on the computer or computer-driven. My classroom is fully equipped with an ActivBoard, nine iPads, and four laptops. Remember the day of the dry-erase board? Old news. What about the chalkboard? Completely foreign. It's all about the ActivBoard now. I teach a flipped classroom. What? Yes, flipped as in upside down. No, I'm just kidding.




So here's the deal. My students listen to our science team's pre-recorded lectures on YouTube at home, and then in turn are given class-time to work on what would have been homework for the unit of study. So far, so good. Have I mentioned I just graduated in December of 2012 from the best university in the world? Yes, you guessed it, Texas A&M University, in the good ole College Station, Texas. This means I began teaching in January 2013. This also means I have the very best mentor a first-year teacher could ever ask for. But again, more on that in another post.

So, here's to another blog being created on Blogger, hopefully one that entertains the heart, challenges the mind, and glorifies the Lord, because really that's why we're here.

No comments:

Post a Comment