3.14.2014

Pi Day

Happy Pi Day, everybody! How did you celebrate 3.14? We celebrated BIG in 7th grade this year. We just recently finished our unit on Perimeter (and Circumference), Area, Surface Area, and Volume. It was perfect timing for Pi Day. Not only did Pi Day fall on a Friday this year, but it fell on the Friday before Spring Break. This means that all we did that day was pretty much fuel the [HYPER] fire that was already spreading among our 7th graders.

Our 7th Grade team found and ordered shirts from Amazon. They were a big hit!
 During my first period of the day, one of my sweet students brought me a shirt that her mom had sewed for me! It was so cute, and even though we were all so excited to match, I just had to change into the one she brought me. It was just so thoughtful, and not to mention- adorable!
About a week ago, we asked for donations from parents. We asked for sugar cookies, icing, and M&Ms, and holy moly, our parents responded. I ended up with about twenty dozen cookies. A-mazing.
The above picture doesn't even touch all the goodies that were donated. To celebrate the day, we had our students measure and solve for the circumference and area of a cookie and an M&M. Then, they iced their cookie, and found the area of the iced part. Then, they decorated their cookie with M&Ms and had to figure out how much area was NOT covered with M&Ms. They had so much fun with it. Here is one of my students' cookies…
How did you celebrate Pi Day?

Nerd Alert: I'm already pumped for next year's Pi Day, because it will be 3.14.15 which is the first FIVE digits of PI- 3.1415 :)

Happy Weekend!
Happy Spring Break!

No comments:

Post a Comment