7.28.2014

Tomato Basil Spaghetti Squash Bake

This is one of those "don't knock it until you try it" recipes. After just typing that, I realize that sounds very negative and you may not want to try this recipe now, BUT keep reading. For real, this dish is one to try!

I found the recipe here, but as you may know if you have ever stumbled upon my blog before, I cook for TWO--hubs and me. So, whenever I see recipes that end in the word, "bake," that usually means it cooks in a 9"x13" baking dish, and we could eat on it for a week. So, I altered the portions a little to feed our little family of two. (Just don't tell Avery she wasn't included in that count.)

If you have never cooked spaghetti squash before, I also included directions on how I do it. Feel free to browse the web for other methods. I have heard you can use your microwave, but I would be terrified to try.

**Sidenote: I have always had a fear of something exploding in my microwave. Thankfully, it is NOT because of a past experience, just a fear. 

Tomato Basil Spaghetti Squash Bake
Ingredients:
-One spaghetti squash (on the smaller side)
-Olive oil
-Salt
-Ground black pepper
-Garlic Powder
-2 large tomatoes, sliced
-Onion Powder
-Dried Basil
-Dried Parsley
-3/4 cup of shredded Mexican cheese blend
-Fresh basil for garnish

Directions (for Spaghetti Squash only):
-The first thing you have to do is cook the spaghetti squash to get your "noodles" from it. The most difficult part of the whole thing, which happens to be the very first step, is cutting the darn thing in half, lengthwise. Be SO careful!! I've heard of people putting it in the microwave for fish minutes to help soften the squash a little bit.
-Once it is cut, with a spoon, scoop out the seeds from both halves.
-Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
-Brush each of the insides with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. I like to sprinkle a little garlic powder here, too, because we love garlic. Feel free to omit. You can't mess this part up.
-Place halves face down on parchment-paper lined baking sheet and roast in the oven anywhere from 30-50 minutes, depending on the size of your squash. You want a fork to puncture through the flesh of the squash easily, and then you know it's done.
-Remove squash from the oven and allow to cool a few minutes. I am usually too anxious and just handle the squash with oven kits anyway. Whatever your patience-level is here, I am not judging. :)
-With a fork, scrape out the insides/flesh of each half and set aside in a small bowl.

Directions:
-Once you have cooked and set aside the spaghetti squash, change your oven's temperature to 350 degrees.
-Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
-Spread 1/3 of the spaghetti squash on the bottom of the baking dish.
-Top with a layer of sliced tomatoes.
-Sprinkle with salt, garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, and dried parsley.
-Top the spices with 1/3 of the cheese.
-Add another layer of each: spaghetti squash, sliced tomatoes, spices, and cheese.
-Top with a final layer of squash.
-Then top with the remaining cheese, and sprinkle spices one more time.
-Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
-Top with fresh basil before serving.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. Thanks for sharing. It's gluten free and that makes it really good for me. Are you both staying cool? Heidi and I are trying. She is staying indoors a lot more, but she wants her daily walk. I'm finally taking her for obedience training - at last. She ran away from me again and that was the last straw. So,we'll see how much we both learn. Stay cool and happy cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Granny, I was thinking of you when I posted this, because I knew it was gluten free! We are trying to stay cool, but it's getting pretty hot! I'm glad Heidi is going to training school- I think that will be good! Hope you are doing well! :)

      Delete