1.05.2016

Anticipating Christmas


Christmas time starts early for us, but not too early. We give Thanksgiving the whole month of November, but come December 1st, it begins to look a lot like Christmas around our house. There is truly nothing like the Christmas season. I spent that first week of December changing out our fall and Thanksgiving decorations for our Christmas ones. My hubby was so proud of me for going up to the attic myself to get everything down. He met me at the bottom of the attic steps, though, just in case. Since I could only decorate for a short time in the evenings, it took a few days. Also, we were missing something kind of huge.. a Christmas tree. Our old tree was a beautiful, wide, and full 8-foot artificial tree that took up way too much storage space, so I sadly parted with it (but kept it in the family), and decided we could get a real one this year (being in North Carolina and all). The fact that we would be gone for two weeks and a real tree being in our house, unattended, began to get to me a little, and when my mom told me about a smaller 6-foot, PRE-LIT, tree from Target for FORTY EIGHT DOLLARS, I was on it.
The first weekend of December was go time. We had a pretty fun weekend planned, actually. Some friends of Matt's from the Corps of Cadets were in town, and one even stayed with us a few nights. We love seeing people from home. It definitely does the heart good. They came over Friday night (pictured above), but then had plans for the rest of the weekend.

Our Saturday was booked with us having our Christmas card photo taken in the morning, and then... my hunting trip for our tree. Did I mention it was on sale for $48? I looked online to ensure that the Target closest to us had said tree, and the website claimed it did. However, this was not the case once there. No big deal, Target's awesome customer service called the next closest store (25 minutes away... I was determined) to have them put one on hold for me. This was me, fueled up with Spark after leaving the first Target on my way to Target #2.

And then this is me leaving Target #2 with only my tree my tree and lots of other things I needed that caught my eye. Oh good grief, you try going into Target during Christmas time at any time of the year! I found a new doormat I didn't need. Seriously, I already had one that looked like Santa Claus, but I couldn't pass up this poinsettia one. I LOVE poinsettias. I also got some new wrapping paper. I actually did need wrapping paper. I like to buy one roll (sometimes ends up being two) and wrap all presents in the same paper. To me, it makes family Christmases easier. Or maybe, it's my undiagnosed OCD. Honestly, I can't remember what was in the bag. I'm sure it was full of very non-important but Christmas-y (making them important) things! Okay, I admit... I have Target has a problem.

When I got home, I got to it. The tree went up, and it was just as sweet as the sale price! The tree was perfect, and I was so happy with how it turned out. And if I say so myself, the doormat was not a bad purchase either!
      
















Okay, and one more, because I added a filter and put my dog in a Christmas sweater... how cute is she?!
In the weeks leading up to Christmas break, Matt was recruiting for jobs, so he was traveling quite a bit, which left Aves and me at home, dreaming of Christmas and trying to stay focused on work. We watched a lot of Christmas movies. One good thing about grading papers is that it is very easy to multitask. Lifetime and Hallmark Channel, thank you for being here in December.


















Seriously, we snuggled up on the couch in our buffalo-check patterned PJs a lot and watched Christmas movies. Who knew there were so many! (Christmas movies, not buffalo-check, but I guess that, too)
Since moving to North Carolina, work has taken up a lot of my time. Recently, though, I joined a Cookbook Club, in which each month, we meet at someone's house, having all cooked a dish from the same cookbook. It is somewhat of a potluck dinner, only all of the recipes come from the same book. I've loved it. We have only had two meetings, one in November and one in December, which I hosted. We cooked from one of my favorite cookbooks (one Matt gave me for Christmas in 2014) Skinny Taste.
I loved getting to host new friends and enjoy great food and great conversation around our dining room table. 


When the time did finally come for the holiday break, I was ready. Starting all of the Christmas-y stuff on the 1st definitely has its perks and definitely brings with it anticipation. On the last day of school before the break, we busted out our tacky Christmas sweaters and sent the kiddos off in style!

No comments:

Post a Comment