12.30.2014

Christmas 2014

This year was the first year I spent Christmas Day somewhere other than home. Everyone knows that once married, holidays are more complicated. You try to see and be with as much family as possible in the little time you have. We did just that. Our Christmas started on Sunday, December 21st--a day I will never forget. The reason this day is so special to me and will always remain special is because my paternal grandparents were baptized in the church that I grew up in. They decided to join the church about 3 months ago, and they chose to be baptized on the 21st, a day when the whole family could be there to witness it. It was amazing. God is amazing. Below is my sweet grandmother right after the service. She was on Cloud 9 all day, as were the rest of us. God's love is overwhelmingly infectious in the best way possible. 
That day, we went to Maggiano's for lunch to continue celebrating my grandparents. Then, we convened at their house afterward for dessert. That night, we had Christmas with my family. We ate great food, drank "Christmas cocktails" as my mom liked to call them, we laughed, and we enjoyed being together, even if not on Christmas Day. 

On the 22nd, I met my mom and sister for lunch and then helped my mom set up her dining room tablescape for Christmas Day lunch. That night, Matt and I had our little Christmas together at home and exchanged gifts. The morning of the 23rd, we finished packing up, and then we headed to Dallas for Christmas with his mom's side of the family. We got in to Dallas in the late evening, and went straight to his aunt and uncle's house for dinner with everyone. I'm so sad I wasn't really great at taking pictures while in Dallas--must of been having too much fun!

On Christmas Eve, we met up with Matt's mom, two younger brothers, Sam and Russell, and Sam's fiancé, Shannon, for lunch at Brewed in Fort Worth. It was such a neat restaurant with delicious food and a great atmosphere. After lunch, the boys wanted to "be boys," so they decided to go to Dave & Buster's, while Shannon and I went to "be girls" and got manicures. After playing for the afternoon, we all went back to get ready for Christmas Eve service at church. In the car on the way to church, my mom sent me a selfie from their car ride to church back in Houston, so we returned the favor. I love technology. And check out those matching earrings...great minds think alike!
        

















After a wonderful Candlelight Service, we went to dinner with Matt's family and then back home for one more sleep until Christmas! 

We woke up Christmas morning, and went for a run. As you may be able to already tell, we ate WAY too much over the holidays. One of my favorite things to do is run with these two, and it felt very necessary. 
      
















It was already a very Merry Christmas, indeed. But the fun was only just beginning. After we showered and got cleaned up, we went over to Matt's grandmother's house to have Christmas with his mom's side. Even though Dallas is in Texas and seems so close, it is rare that we get up there, so it made the time there so sweet. 
Our time in Dallas seemed to end too quickly. But when it did, all the kids packed up and caravanned to the middle of Texas where Matt's dad's side of the family lives, New Braunfels. His dad had rented a house right on the river for all of us to stay in together. They had decorated the house before we got there and had a tree full of gifts. 
    
















The first night we were there, we enjoyed a quiet dinner at home, all nine of us (still missing two). The following morning, Matt and I went on what was intended to be a nice and easy run, and now I understand why they call it the HILLcountry. Also, it rained on us, so we were soaked when we got home. I quickly got over it, obviously. 

Every Christmas, for much longer than I have been in the Bormann family, the extended family has gathered in New Braunfels for a Bormann Bowling Party. I have been fortunate enough to attend the last four.
We always have so much fun, and most years, it is the one time of the year that I bowl, and I always love it and am usually sore the next day. This year was no different. It was our first big event of the weekend. Our team didn't win, but it didn't matter. Getting to see 50+ family members from Matt's side made it completely worth it, even without the bowling. 
     












Back at the house that night, we played games (corn hole, Kuub, ping pong, pool, and fetch of course) and stayed up way too late. I swear, I think Matt enjoys playing fetch with Avery just as much as she does.


















The following day, the 28th, we did a Christmas gift exchange with just Matt's immediate family. And then that afternoon, we did the whole big family Christmas lunch thing again with Matt's dad's side of the family. We did a White Elephant gift exchange and had a big ping-pong tournament going. There was a men's bracket and a women's bracket, and while it was no easy feat, yours truly came out on top.
Game faces... obviously.
I loved every bit of this trip, but my favorite part may have been early in the morning of the day we were leaving, watching these two do their thing and with that view... 
Another really neat thing that happened that morning was that we got to pet a deer that roams around near the house frequently. I believe the family who owns the place actually considers it a pet.

















After watching a little bit of the Aggie game, it was time to head home. All three of us were exhausted and still are, but I think that speaks to the good times that were had.

















It was nice to use the drive home to reflect on the past week and also the past year. It seems like I blinked and it came and went. And it was a good one.

I hope you had a very Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment