8.06.2013

Pancakes and Pizza

Wow, is it really August already? Last week and this week, I went through GT Training through our school district, and while being busy getting ready for school and finishing up some professional development, I have been cooking a lot. Like a lot, a lot. One of my college roommates gave me my very first cookbook before I got married last year, The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond (pictured to the left).

Ree is awesome. I feel like I know her. She now has a new cookbook out there, and I cannot wait to buy it. First though, I am hoping to make my way through this one. I have already made many of the dishes that are in this book. Recipes are my friend. Have a mentioned that I am a math teacher? Or maybe it's the OCD in me, but if following a recipe to a tee is what makes a good cook, then you can call me a good cook. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure that doesn't count. Oh well. Here are two recipes that are a family favorite in the Bormann house--the first is from Ree's cookbook and the second is not...

Sour Cream Pancakes 
Ingredients
- 1 cup sour cream
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter
- Maple or pancake syrup

Preparation
- Heat a skillet on medium-high for a couple of minutes to heat it up.
- Place the sour cream in a medium-sized bowl along with the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir ingredients very gently, being careful not to mix too much. You want some texture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add the vanilla to the egg mixture and stir.
- Pour the egg mixture into the medium bowl with all other ingredients.
- Stir gently.
- Add a tiny bit of butter to the hot skillet and follow by pouring the batter into the skillet about ¼ cup at a time.
- Cook for about 1-2 minutes and then flip pancake and cook for another minute. Repeat for as many pancakes as you can make with the batter.

These pancakes are really delicious! Don't let the sour cream ingredient freak you out. (AKA don't tell your husband they are called "Sour Cream Pancakes" before he tries them.) Also, just pretend they are healthy when you are eating them :) 

This second recipe is much healthier. It is not one of The Pioneer Woman's recipes, but it is still very delicious. I met up with some of my college roommates for a reunion dinner right after school got out back in June. We went to Tiny Boxwoods, and I ordered the Summer Peach and Balsamic Pizza, so I had to try to make it this summer for hubs and me. It is actually very easy.

Peach and Balsamic Pizza
Ingredients
- 2 whole wheat flatbreads as crust
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1-2 peaches, pitted and very thinly sliced
½ cup basil, julienne

Preparation for Balsamic Reduction
- Pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until it has reduced to about ¼ cup.
- Set aside to let cool.

Preparation for Pizza
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- Lightly brush 1 tablespoon of olive oil on flatbread.
- Top flatbread with mozzarella, goat cheese, and peach slices.
- Drizzle some of the balsamic reduction on pizzas. 
- Place pizza directly on oven rack. (I actually put mine on a cookie sheet to keep my oven clean--still worked just fine!)
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove pizza from the oven.
- Top with basil and drizzle with balsamic reduction.
- Cut into slices and serve with peach slices on the side. 

And again, we have a delicious dish! Both of these are super easy and husband-approved! Enjoy the last couple weeks of summer!

2 comments:

  1. Hannah this is such a great blog! What fun recipes- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete