1.07.2014

Fitness Challenge || Week 1 Review

Made it through the first week of our Family's Fitness Challenge! If you missed my original post about the rules of our Family's Fitness Challenge, you can see it here. If you do know the rules, here is an update on Week 1. If you are looking for meal ideas or snack ideas while trying to eat healthy, keep on reading, because I am going to share some of my favorites!

Breakfast
Matt does not usually eat breakfast, but I am one of those people who cannot function without it. Some ideas include:
-Egg whites or Whole egg to Egg white ratio of 1:2 (for women)
-Fruit
-Extra lean turkey bacon (or sausage)
-Fruit or green smoothie
-Oatmeal topped with berries (and agave nectar)

Snacks
Because each of your meals is supposed to be between 200-300 calories, you are allowed snacks between meals. A few of my go-to snacks include:
-Almonds (or other nut)
-Apples (or bananas) with a tablespoon of almond butter
-Green smoothies
-Any fruit or veggie as a snack is also great!

Lunch
I sometimes just treat lunch as another snack, so some of the above items are things I have been eating for lunch. When I have more time, or now that I am back to work, the plan is:
-Lots of leftovers
-Salad with protein (i.e. grilled chicken) and any fruits/veggies I have on hand

Dinner
Dinner has been our favorite so far. It has been fun experimenting with recipes that fit into our eating plan, yet are still super delicious. Here are some recipes I have found that we have really loved:
Turkey Meatloaf Muffins and steamed veggies (top left)
Chicken Thai Stir Fry (middle)
Slow-Cooker Chicken, homemade sweet potato fries (not pictured)
- Chicken Fajita Bowl, and instead of tortillas, just mix with brown rice and black beans (bottom right)
- "Spaghetti" Squash w/ extra lean ground turkey & all natural tomato sauce w/out cheese (bottom middle)


Favorite Recipes This Week
All of the above recipes really were very delicious! My favorite (and it was not easy to choose at all) was probably the chicken fajita bowl. I really did not feel like I was on a diet at all when eating it. I was being weird at the grocery store and bought the already thinned chicken breasts (because they're cheaper), but I shouldn't have. The recipe will make a lot, and it makes great leftovers, so I wished I had used more chicken in the beginning to make the dish last a couple more days. Matt's favorite was the spaghetti squash. He was a little hesitant at first, but afterwards, admitted to it being his favorite meal so far on the challenge.

All of this to say, so far, so good. Not that I would say this is easy by any means, however, it is very nice to have other people keeping me accountable, especially the one I live with. After all, misery loves company, right? Just kidding, it really is not miserable… yet. 

2 comments:

  1. Good luck as you continue the challenge. Ben and I will be starting ours this weekend. Typically we wait until after his birthday on January 5 since I always make his favorite, red velvet cake and seafood gumbo. Keep us posted on your successes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely wait, too! Please share any of your favorite recipes! :) I'm always trying to find different things to make!

      Delete