2.10.2014

4CY

This morning, my high school softball coach, Tina Young, went to be with the Lord. She fought a seven year battle with cancer after being given no more than nine months to live. An absolute miracle.

If you are reading this and either haven't met me or did not meet me until after high school, you do not know about the thing that consumed the majority of my time for thirteen years of my life--softball. It is crazy to think that I have not been playing for almost six years now. Regardless, when I think back to my four years in high school, I think about softball.

I have been at a loss for words most of the day, and I think that was mostly because I thought that if I really sat down to think about the loss of this inspirational person, I'd probably just lose it. Much to my surprise, however, here I am, sitting down and taking it all in, and all I can think about is her joy. Pure joy. If you never had the opportunity to meet this woman, you missed out. Luckily for you, she touched so many lives, that you will see her joy lived out in the lives of all of her students and athletes. Coach Young was truly an inspiration.  As a teacher, I would love to say that the biggest impact made on my life in my high school career was in the classroom, but that would be a lie. The biggest impact made on my life in my high school career was on the softball field. Tina had a lot to do with that.

She coached me.
She helped me.
She taught me.
She lead me.
She inspired me.
She encouraged me.
She laughed with me.
She cried with me.
She fought for me.
She believed in me.
She challenged me.

That last one has been on my heart for a while now. She challenged me. A lot. She pushed me out of my comfort zone on the field, and she helped form me into the best player I could be. She was talented at doing that. I know this list does not only apply to me. I have spent today looking at all of the social media posts from so many previous players of Tina's, and I have been in awe of the number of people she touched. Before my senior season, I was told I could not pitch anymore without risking a more serious back injury, and she believed that I had more to give than softball. She was so much more than a coach.

She was a helper,
a teacher, 
a leader,
an inspirer,
an encourager,
an empathizer,
a fighter,
a believer,
and a challenger. 

She meant so much to so many, and my prayer is that she is always remembered for the impact she made and her joyous spirit.

4CY


No comments:

Post a Comment