7.22.2013

DIY Tinted Mason Jars

We all have that DIY board on Pinterest, am I right? Well, I am going to DO some of those DIY's and post them on here so we can all see what they look like when regular people do them. No-these projects don't always turn out the way the picture looks, but since you did them yourself, they are perfect. Have you seen the pin of the beautifully tinted mason jars? If not, here it is. Well, it has been in my "Home Sweet Projects" board for a while, and Matt and I went to dinner at some dear friends' home this past weekend and she had some. I told her I was determined to make them. So I did. You should too. If you follow the pin, the tutorial is really great. But, here is my version of a tutorial for your reading pleasure...

What you will need:
*Mason Jars
*Food coloring
*Mod Podge (glossy)
*Dixie cups (or something similar)
*Wax paper

Steps to making your very own:
1. Add food coloring generously to about a tablespoon or less of water, and mix.
2. Add in 2-3 tablespoons of Modge Podge to the mixture, and mix well. I found adding more was better so that the mixture would be thicker.
3. Pour this mixture into the mason jar and rotate the mason jar around so that the mixture hits all parts of the inner-surface of the jar.
4. Repeat these steps for however many jars you are making. (I actually made the blue mixture and used it, then made the red mixture and used it, and then I just mixed the two together for the purple mixture.)
5. Turn jar(s) upside down to dry for about 25 minutes. (I put them on a stack of paper towels.)


6. Place jar(s) upside down on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Put them in the oven on a "warm" setting for another 10 minutes. The lowest degree my oven would go to was 170°, and it was fine.
7. USING OVEN MITS, turn the mason jars over so they are up-right, and leave them in the oven for another 20 minutes (or until the desired look you want). 


8. Take them out of the oven and let them cool. And, you're done :)

My finished products are pictured below. They have streaks, they are imperfect, but aren't we all imperfect? So, here is one DIY done.

           




















Have you pinned anything that you have always wanted to do but haven't? Hopefully, this gives some of you a little inspiration to DIY.

No comments:

Post a Comment