6.05.2014

Teachers Be Like...

Woah. Is it really already over? Did anyone else feel like this today? I saw this picture last night and almost peed my pants because I thought it was so funny.

Today was the last day of school, and I truly felt like I was in a movie. My sweet kids were so antsy and anxious. They started a quiet countdown 30 seconds from the last bell. Then, they continued to get louder and louder until I had lost control. When the bell rang, paper flew into the air... okay I may be exaggerating a little bit, but I was really happy for them to be finished with finals and their 7th grade year. I know they worked hard and put so much pressure on themselves to do well, so I am proud of their efforts, no matter their grades. I have a class Instagram where I post test dates, things to study, etc. and Monday, I shared with them this eCard on the left that I thought was perfect since they have almost all either read the books, seen the movie, or both. They got a kick out of it.
This year was my first full year of teaching in middle school. For anyone who does not already know, I was hired on at my school as a science teacher mid-year last year, since I graduated in December of 2012. I was extremely lucky and blessed to have a job, especially with such odd-timing, not to mention at my dream school. When the opportunity arose, at the end of last year, for me to switch into a math class, I jumped at the chance. I now had my dream job at my dream school. Well, I just finished my first full year and wanted to share some things that I learned (in no particular order). 


Patience is a virtue. Okay, so I already knew that, but teaching middle school brings all new meaning to both having patience and what is considered virtuous. Just like when I teach my students when reading a word problem to "read, re-read, and then read again," it's like you must be "patient, more patient, and then even more patient." They are kids. Don't let 'em eat you alive. They are thirteen year olds being thirteen year olds. Now, there is obviously a place and a time. When it was not the time, I found that something as simple as "if you take up my time, I will have to take up your time..." tends to work, because they sure do covet their passing period five minutes in the hall.

Those sweet little angels can be dishonest. Does this surprise you? We were all thirteen once. There is a lot of pressure at that age. What they don't realize is that they are not very good at being dishonest. Now, I am not saying that is a bad thing. You just laugh later about some of the things that kids try to get away with. However, I realized there are ways to eliminate the pressures of being dishonest. For example, and I was actually talking to one of my students about this today. She commented on how much she liked that I had boards (cut from particle board at Home Depot) that are placed in between the desks on testing days. She said she liked it better than having folders set up or having a cover sheet. I then proceeded to explain to her the idea behind the boards and how I love that it eliminates the temptation of "wondering eyes" because they serve as personal work spaces--like cubicles.


Don't be the cause of the distraction. Don't add to or fuel your students' rambunctiousness. One sure way to be the cause--hand back those tests at the beginning of class--you've lost them. There is no going back; you might as well pack it up for the day. Thankfully, I did not learn this one by making this mistake. But, it could easily be done, so it's just a warning. Even though you use this system all year, and your objectives are clearly stated on the board, numbered in order: 1) Check HW, 2) Lesson blah-blah, 3) Return Tests, they will ask if you are handing them back ASATWITD (As Soon As They Walk In The Door).

Students will be confused--try another way. You know when you are telling a story you have told one hundred times? You might talk 450 miles/hour. You might leave important pieces out. You might be speaking in a different language (hopefully not). Sometimes, especially in math, a student will not understand the way I am telling "the story." You can't get frustrated. If everyone thought the same way, we would be a bunch of robots shaking hands and getting along. That isn't how the real world works, and the classroom doesn't either. Just try another method of saying what you are trying to get across. Start over. Draw a picture. Use your
hands/movements. Try something else. Because, let's be
honest, this is a common feeling about Pre-Algebra...

This is a big one, and one that I struggle with helping my kids to do, because of the trend of today, unfortunately.

Help your students to become problem solvers. Don't solve all of their problems for them. Answer their questions with questions. (Don't you hate when people do that to you?) But it really makes you think. And isn't that what we want for our future generation? We want them to be able to think for themselves, and not be reliant on someone or anyone else. We would be doing them an injustice. This quote says it best...

"The best teachers are those who show you where to look but don't tell you what to see." -Alexandra K. Trenfor
And when all else fails, just teach like a ninja!
I am looking forward to some much-needed rest, although it is pretty fun looking back at all the memories from this year. It sure was a good one.

Happy 1st day of Summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment