5.03.2014

DIY | Mason Jar Wall Vases

If you are looking to fill some wall space and/or an incredibly easy DIY project, then this one is for you. Have you ever seen this pin? Well, if you follow the link, it takes you to a website that sells these mason jar wall vases. There are also Etsy shops out there that sell them. They can be used for many different things, and I loved them, but I didn't want to buy them if I thought I might be able to make them myself. So, that's what I did.

This was a project I tackled the summer before last. (AKA My Pre-Annie Sloan Days) If I were to do it over again, I would choose different paints, but I love how they turned out, and they are still proudly hung in our home.

What you will need:
*Pine Wood (1x6)
*Sandpaper
*Three mason jars
*Three metal hose clamps (pictured at right, find at hardware store)
*Three of the smallest screws you can find (you don't want them poking out of the back of your pieces of wood)
*Paint
*Paint brushes
*Flowers, or whatever you are planning on putting inside them (pens, toothbrushes, etc.)

Steps to make your very own:
1. Cut pine wood into 10" lengths. Hubs helped me do this with his circular saw. You could probably sweet talk someone at the hardware store to do it for you, too.

2. Use sandpaper to sand down each face, edge, and corner of each piece of wood.

3. Once sanded, paint each piece of wood. You could paint all three the same color or use up to three different colors. I tried this "crackle paint," and it was pretty much useless. Again, I would use Annie Sloan if I were to do it again.
      



      











3. Drill the backs of the metal clamps into wood pieces with the screws.

4. Place the mason jars into the clamps and tighten clamps until very snug. You don't want mason jars falling through the clamps and crashing to your floor, do you?

5. You're done :) I told you it was easy! Now, fill with your choice of... anything!

If you hang them in a bathroom, you can use them as toothbrush (or other bathroom essentials) holders. Or you could keep them in your home office and use them as pen/office supplies holders. I, however, have them hanging on a wall that is only about 12" wide that separates our kitchen from our living room, and I filled them with (fake) hydrangeas. I used to have (fake) tulips in them, but they looked very fake, and that wasn't exactly what I was going for. Here is the finished product...
      































     

         
Have you made anything recently?
I'm ready for a new project. 
...which translates into--I'm ready for summer so I have some time for projects!

2 comments:

  1. I cannot seem to get my screw to drill through the metal clamp. Any suggestions??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika! My husband helped me with that part :) I think we drilled a small hole first with a bit. Or you could tap it with a nail first to make a pilot hole! I hope it works!!

      Delete